Reggio Emilia City Museums

The Reggio Emilia City Museums network comprises several museums, historical sites and exhibition centres

MUSEUMS

  • Palazzo dei Musei

    This is the main and oldest building of the Reggio Emilia City Museums. It houses some of the city’s major historical collections, in particular the “Lazzaro Spallanzani Collection”, transferred to the premises in 1830, and the “Gaetano Chierici Museum of Paleo-ethnology”, opened in 1862, still arranged according to the original layout and displayed in period showcases. Various other holdings and special collections have been added to these over the years. They include the Roman and Medieval mosaics section; the memorial stones and tablets collection, located in the historical Portico of Marbles; the zoology, anatomy, botanical, geology-mineral and ethnography collections; the “Fontanesi Art Gallery”, containing works by local artists; the “Roman Reggio Museum”; and the “Prehistory and Proto-history Museum”, both displaying the findings from local archaeological digs.

    via Spallanzani, 1
    42121 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456816

    offices
    via Palazzolo, 2
    42121 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456477

    opening times
    free entrance

  • Parmeggiani Art Gallery

    The Parmeggiani Art Gallery can be considered as a museum-house featuring the nineteenth century collections of painting, furniture and fabrics of the Spanish painter, collector and antiquarian Ignacio Leon y Escosura; the arms and goldsmithery of the Marcy workshop in Paris; and a collection of works by the painter Cesare Detti from Spoleto. These three collections were brought together in Paris in the late nineteenth-early twentieth century by Luigi Parmeggiani, an anarchist turned art collector and antiquarian who moved the collection to his native city of Reggio Emilia in 1924. Alongside a range of finely crafted style reproductions recently attributed to the “Marcy” workshop in Paris, the gallery houses valuable original items, including an interesting collection of Spanish and Flemish paintings and a collection of historical costumes. The eclectic Gothic-Renaissance gallery building was commissioned by Luigi Parmeggiani for the specific purpose of holding his peculiar collection.

    corso Cairoli, 1
    42121 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 451054

    offices
    via Palazzolo, 2
    42121 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456477

    opening times
    free entrance

  • Tricolour Flag Museum

    The museum is located in the rooms adjoining the historical hall where the tricolour flag was inaugurated on 7th January 1797. The museum exhibit applies innovative historiographical criteria to document the most important episodes in the history of the national flag in relation to the historical evolution of the Italian Risorgimento. The first section features prints, paintings, arms, memorabilia, drawings and interior reconstructions documenting the history of the political events that took place in Reggio Emilia, from the birth of the Reggio Republic in 1796 to the beginning of the Restoration in 1814. The second section displays original documents and relics from the historical events of the Italian Risorgimento up to 1897, the year when Reggio celebrated the first Tricolour Flag Centenary culminating in the famous speech delivered by the poet Giosué Carducci.
    A number of modern audio-visual aids are located next to the historical displays, helping to explain the exhibition and the meaning of the flag – the symbol of national identity par excellence.

    p.zza Prampolini, 1
    42121 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456033
    for guided tours call +39 0522 456805

    offices
    via Palazzolo, 2
    42121 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456477

    opening times
    free entrance

  • Museum of the Beata Vergine della Ghiara Sanctuary

    The museum is housed in some of the rooms of the ancient convent of the Servite Fathers and features some precious liturgical items donated to the temple over the centuries as a sign of devotion to the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary. The highlights of the display include the so-called “ducal candlesticks” presented by the Duke of Modena Francis I of the House of Este, and the “ 1674 crown”, a magnificent work of goldsmithery donated by the Reggio Emilia Community to the Virgin Mary in thanksgiving for saving the city from the plague. On display are also the best items from the sanctuary’s wealth of liturgical vestments, as well as vessels and other liturgical ornaments. The “Treasure Room”, containing reliquaries, votive offerings, holy vessels and other ornaments, completes the museum exhibit.

    corso Garibaldi, 44
    42121 Reggio Emilia

    Sundays: 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
    visits to the Museum can be arranged for alternative days
    by prior telephone agreement
    T. +39 0522 439707

    free entrance

  • Museum of Psychiatry

    Museum of Psychiatry

    The Museum of Psychiatry is to be located in the Lombroso building (on the premises of the former San Lazzaro Psychiatric Hospital complex)

    via Amendola, 2
    42122 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456477

    opening times of current initiatives

    free entrance

HISTORICAL SITES

  • Mauriziano

    The Palazzo del Mauriziano owes its fame to the fact that it was the home of Ludovico Ariosto during his early childhood and at various times over the course of his youth (featured in the poet’s celebrated verses in the Fourth Satire dedicated to his memory of the Mauriziano). Despite the major restructuring works carried out in the seventeenth and eighteen centuries, the property has retained its sixteenth-century layout reflecting the culture of the Renaissance villa. The decorative paintings on the first floor show the influence of Nicolò dell’Abate. It is currently used as a venue for cultural events.

    via Pasteur, 11
    42122 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456527

    opening times of current initiatives

  • Synagogue

    Originally built in the seventeenth century in the heart of the old Jewish ghetto, the Synagogue was redesigned in 1858 by the architect from Reggio Emilia Pietro Marchelli in elegant Neoclassical style, and has recently been restored. It belongs to the Jewish community of Modena and Reggio Emilia and is managed jointly with the Municipality of Reggio Emilia. It is used as a venue for cultural initiatives.

    via dell’Aquila, 3/a
    42121 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456477

    opening times of current initiatives

  • Arts Library

    This is a specialist Archaeology and Art History library boasting a holding of over 50,000 volumes. It is divided into the following five sections: Archaeology, Art History, Periodicals, Old and Rare Books (with editions dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries) and the Newspapers and Magazines library.
    The ground floor houses the Didart documentation centre of museum-related educational activities and the young readers’ section of the library.
    It is also used regularly as a venue for side activities ranging from book presentations, to conferences, live reading performances and film screenings.

    piazza della Vittoria, 5
    42121 Reggio Emilia
    T. +39 0522 456809
    biblioteca.musei@comune.re.it

    Monday to Friday: 8.30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
    Saturdays: 8.30 a.m. – 12.30 p.m.
    Tuesday and Thursday afternoons: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

[wpgmappity id=”4″]